Actors’ BootCamp® - Basic Training
Morning Sessions: 4 weeks - 5 days a week
Evening Sessions: 6 weeks - 3 nights a week
Acting training begins with the following question (and there is no learning anything about acting before you answer it):
"Is this acting thing just a passing fancy or is it truly my life's work?"
Enter The Actors’ Boot Camp® – Basic Training. By the end of this truly intensive course, you will not only know the answer to the former question, but you will have the cornerstone of a strong foundation in acting technique as well as its application to scene work and cold readings.
Why choose The Actors’ Boot Camp®?
- All Acting Corps actors come to class prepared and on time.
- We don't charge you an arm and a leg, and a foot.
- All Acting Corps teachers are currently working actors with fancy MFA degrees from places like Rutgers, Irvine, and Yale. Like all professionals we do it often and for money.
- We don't worship dead acting teachers who were popular in the 1950's. We believe that even though some famous actors studied with these teachers, these actors were such forces of nature that they would've made it no matter what. (Was anyone going to keep Brando from being Brando? Come on.)
- Instructors of our Los Angeles acting school have actually ACTED, and for money. They didn't just represent actors, or meet with actors, or ask them out at a party.
- Our students do not teach our acting classes in LA. They would like to, but we tell them to go out and look for acting work instead.
- We keep our Los Angeles acting classes small, to an average of 16, not 30, or 40 so that you can actually work extensively in every class.
- Though he wouldn't mind it, we don't encourage you to worship our Artistic Director Eugene Buica.
- Our acting school Los Angeles showcases your talent so that you can earn street creds and maybe an agent. EARN is the operative word.
- We answer our phone and try to help you learn how to become an actor. We are here to serve your need for a creative life and an acting career. Just call us, you'll see.
Actors’ Boot Camp® Classes
Acting Corps Technique
Utilizing only the useful components of the Meisner Technique and Michael Chekhov technique, learning to live truthfully in the moment, bringing authenticity to your work as you explore the frightening intimacy and immeasurable joy of actually being present to your acting partner and finding the courage to let go and play.
Listening and reacting truthfully to the other actor from moment to uninterrupted moment is the basic foundation of all acting. The "repetition" exercise is the only approach that actually teaches this foundation. What is typically taught in every Meisner Program over three to six months is covered and drilled here over the four weeks of the Actors’ Boot Camp. The difference is that the work is more intense, more challenging, and actually deeper.
Some Meisner practitioners who are certainly no strangers to film acting include Robert Duvall, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, William H. Macy, John Malkovich, and Kathy Bates among many others.
Scene Study - Cold Reading
Beginning to work with text, slowly bringing in the deep connection to your partner found in The Acting Corps Technique class, and gaining an understanding of the basic mechanics of playing a scene truthfully and freely. Getting a scene "cold", making powerful acting choices, listening and answering in the moment as you fully commit to your acting partner and your objective in the scene.
Like no other school offering scene study in Los Angeles, The Actors' Boot Camp actually applies our own proven technique to Cold Reading and Scene Study from the very start. Here you don't just learn the rudiments of reading a script cold, rehearsing, and getting off book. You learn how to actually apply listening and answering in the moment right away.
Actors who want to build technique and develop the facility to have it at their fingertips in their auditions and performances are always shocked by the efficiency and success of our approach.
Opening up your physical instrument through voice and movement work so that you can fully live in your body, experience the moment, and finally embrace your right to create.
Augusto Boal, actor, writer, director, and acting teacher, said : "…how can expression freely manifest itself throughout an actor's body, if that very instrument (the body and mind) is mechanized, automated in its muscle structures and insensible to 90% of its possibilities?"
The Actor's Instrument class will help you develop heightened physical and vocal awareness by exploring the connection between body, breath, thought and impulse, and their relationship to your pure, unfettered expression.
Through exercises in movement, voice and speech, observation, imagination, relaxation, and spontaneity, you will examine and free your instrument, both internally and externally.
Daily Acting Workout
And… included, strongly suggested, but not mandatory:
Actors Boot Camp® Start Dates
Morning Boot Camp Monday - Friday, 10:30am - 1:30pm
Evening Boot Camp Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday, 7:30pm - 10:30pm
Daily Acting Workout Monday - Friday, 9am to 10am & Sunday - Thursday, 6pm-7pm
Call to find out about availability: 818.753.2800